prof. PhDr. VÁCLAV BŮŽEK, CSc.
- Date of birth: 10th January 1959 in Český Krumlov
- Current position: Professor, Director of the Institute of History at the Faculty of Arts at the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice
- Address: Institute of History, Faculty of Arts, University of South Bohemia, Branišovská 31 a, 370 05 České Budějovice, e-mail: email@example.com
- University degree: Faculty of Arts, Charles University, Prague (degree in History)
- Research and pedagogical degrees: Doctor of Philosophy - 1982 (Charles University in Prague); Candidate of Historical Sciences - 1988 (Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences in Prague); Associate Professor of Czech History - 1992 (University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice); Professor of Czech History - 1999 (Masaryk University in Brno)
- Academic career: 1983 - 1984 scholar of the Institute of Czechoslovak and World History of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences in Prague; 1984 - 1991 Assistant Professor at the Department of History at the Faculty of Education at the University of South Bohemia, from 1991 as its Head and since 1992 Associate Professor of this Department, from 1997 Head of the Institute of History of University of South Bohemia; 1999 - 2005 Professor at the Institute of History at the University of South Bohemia; since 2006 to present Professor and director of the Institute of History at the Faculty of Arts at the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice; 2001 - 2004 Vice-Rector for Science and Research at the University of South Bohemia ; from 1st March 2004 to 28th February 2011 Rector at the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice - two terms in office.
- Research focus: Czech and Central European history of the Early Modern Period - especially the 16th and 17th centuries; history of nobility, residences and courtyards; everyday culture; rituals of symbolic communication; historical-anthropological approaches to the history of the society of the Czech lands in the context of the history of the Habsburg Monarchy.
- Teaching at higher education institutions: since 1984 to present lectures and seminars in České Budějovice (especially on History of the Early Modern Period, Historical Anthropology, Historical Proseminar, Specialization Seminar on the History of Early Modern Period, Doctoral Seminar); since 1995 - supervision of PhD students (to date eleven PhD students have successfully defended their dissertation under his supervision); 1998 - 2001 lectures and seminars at the Faculty of Arts at Masaryk University in Brno; since 2006 to present - teaching at foreign universities (especially Tübingen)
- Member of the following editorial boards: Czech Historical Review (Český časopis historický), History and Present (Dějiny a současnost), Folia Historica Bohemica, Historical Horizon (Historický obzor), Hungarian Historical Review, Opera Historica
- Research panels: currently a member of the Scientific Board at the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, a member of the Scientific Board at the Faculty of Arts at the University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, member of the Czech History Doctoral Studies Board at the Institute of Czech History at the Faculty of Arts, Charles University in Prague, member of the Czech National Committee of Historians and of the Attestation Committee of the Institute of History of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic in Prague
- Research Projects (selection): Member of the international research team of the Volkswagen Stiftung project, called the Frühneuzeitliche Institutionen in ihrem sozialen Context - Praktiken lokaler Politik, USBstiz und Verwaltung im internationalen Vergleich (2001 - 2004); principal executor for the research project “Šlechta v novověkých dějinách českých zemí” (Nobility of the Czech lands in the Modern Period) (1999 - 2004); principal executor of the research project “Společnost českých zemí v raném novověku – struktury, individua, vztahy, instituce moci“ (Society of Czech Lands in the Early Modern Period - Structures, Individuals, Relationships, Institutions of Power) (2005-2011); principal executor of the research centre “Habsburkové v dějinách českých zemí raného novověku“ (Habsburgs in the Czech lands during the Early Modern Period) (2012 - 2016); principal executor of the standard project of the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic “Ferdinand II. Tyrolský a šlechtická společnost druhé poloviny 16. století – integrační procesy v habsburské monarchii“ (Ferdinand II. Tyrolean and Noble Society of the Second Half of the 16th Century - Integration Processes in the Habsburg Monarchy) (2003 - 2005); principal executor of a doctoral project of the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic “Společnost raného novověku v 16. až 18. století – teorie, metodologie, prameny” (Society of Early Modern Period in the 16th to 18th centuries - theory, methodology, sources) (2003-2007); principal executor of the doctoral project of the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic “Člověk, sociální skupina a společnost” (Humans, Social Groups and Society) (2008-2011); principal executor of the standard project of the Grant Agency of the Czech Republic “Svět mužskosti. Nižší šlechta z českých zemí ve válkách počátkem novověku” (World of Masculinity. Lower Nobility in the Bohemian Lands in the Early Modern Times) (2013-2015).
- Foreign research scholarships (selection over the last five years): : Mellon Foundation scholarship (two months, 2011/2012); scholarship of Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (three months 2013/2014); Dorothee Wilms-Stiftung scholarship (two months 2014/2015)
- Publications: author and co-author of fifteen scientific monographs and syntheses published in the Czech Republic and abroad, recently, for example:
Václav Bůžek, Ferdinand von Tirol zwischen Prag und Innsbruck. Der Adel aus den böhmischen Ländern auf dem Weg zu den Höfen der ersten Habsburger, Wien-Köln-Weimar, Böhlau Verlag 2009; Václav Bůžek - Ondřej Jakubec - Pavel Kral, Jan Zrinský ze Serynu. Životní příběh synovce posledních Rožmberků (Jan Zrinsky from Serin. The life story of the last Rosenbergs’ nephew), Prague, published by Lidové noviny 2009; Václav Bůžek et al., Společnost českých zemí v raném novověku. Struktury, identity, konflikty, (Society of Czech Lands in the Early Modern Period - Structures, Individuals, Relationships, Institutions of Power) Prague, published by Lidové noviny 2010; Václav Bůžek et al., Světy posledních Rožmberků (Worlds of the last Rosenbergs) , Prague, published by Lidové noviny 2011 (the book received the Prestigious Publication Award of the Rector of the University of South Bohemia); Václav Bůžek – Ondřej Jakubec, Kratochvíle posledních Rožmberků (Pastimes of the last Rosenbergs), Prague, published by Lidové noviny 2012; Ronald G. Asch – Václav Bůžek – Volker Trugenberger (edd.), Adel in Südwestdeutschland und Böhmen 1450-1850, Stuttgart, W. Kohlhammer Verlag 2013; Václav Bůžek – Pavel Marek, Smrt Rudolfa II., (The Death of Rudolph II), Prague, published by Lidové noviny 2015; Václav Bůžek – František Koreš – Petr Mareš – Miroslav Žitný, Rytíři renesančních Čech ve válkách (Knights of the Renaissance Bohemia in Wars), Prague, published by Lidové noviny 2016; other publications include 200 research studies in domestic and foreign journals and collections (see more in the bibliography section)
- Popularization activities: lectures for the public (especially for teachers, high school students and students at the University of the Third Age), popularizing articles in the journal History and Present, co-operation with the editorial staff of the TV programme Historie.cs, broadcast on CT 24
- Awarded medals: The Silver Commemorative Medal of the City of České Budějovice for outstanding merit for the development of university life in České Budějovice (2011); Commemorative Medal at the Faculty of Fisheries and Water Protection of University of South Bohemia (2011); Commemorative Medal at the University of South Bohemia (2012); Commemorative Certificate of the Dean at the Faculty of Health and Social Studies at the University of South Bohemia for contribution to the development at the Faculty (2012)
- Languages spoken: German, English, Russian